Getting to know Jacques Du Preez
Jacques Du Preez, MD of Provantage Out of Home Media, takes some time out of his busy schedule to speak to Totally MAd about cleaning fridges; never giving up; and the hard work involved in keeping Facebook updated.
1. What was your first job/ where did you start?
I was an ice cream rep at Nestle Dairymaid and cleaned more fridges than most people have had meals in their lives.
2. What made you want to build a career in your profession?
I always enjoyed brands, especially consumer behaviour and what makes people buy certain brands.
3. Describe a day in your life at present.
04:45 – 06:15: Gym
07:30 – 08:30: Catch up on emails
08:30 – 12:30: Internal meetings and discussions with staff
12:30 – 15:00: External meetings and presentations to clients
15:00 – 18:30: Emails and phone calls to clients and stakeholders in our business
18:30 – 19:30: Dinner and time with my wife and kids
19:30 – 21:00: Either TV or reading a book
4. How do you unwind behind the scenes? List your favourite song; movie; and book.
I enjoy a glass of wine with friends and a round of golf with the boys.
Favourite song: Life Design – Parlotones; favourite movie – Avatar in 3D; favourite book – I enjoyed the series of books about Genghis Khan by Conn Iggulden – Wolf of the Plains; Lord of the Bow; Bones of the Hills. I am also a very big fan of John Maxwell.
5. Who would you most like to meet – dead or alive, and why?
There are so many. Dead – Confucius; Napoleon; Alexander the Great; Michaelangelo; Thomas Edison; Churchill; and Einstein. Why? They all had incredible vision and amazing courage and determination and were larger than life. Alive: Nelson Mandela; Richard Branson; Bono; and John Maxwell. I think they are wise people and have a certain degree of practicality, combined with sincere compassion for people.
6. What has been one of the most important lessons you have learnt?
Never give up – no matter what!
7. What is your secret indulgence and your three ‘can’t live without’ items?
I enjoy a good cup of coffee! Three things I cannot do without: my family; my BlackBerry; and my bed.
8. Who do you think is getting it right in the industry?
I think there are a lot of people doing great things, but I particularly admire Koos Bekker.
Who involved in the South African media industry does not?
9. Which person in the industry do you think is making waves?
As I said, Koos Bekker has made and continues to make waves – big ones!
10. Who is your alter ego?
Definitely one of the great generals, such as Eisenhower or even Napoleon.
11. What is your favourite perfume?
I really like Lapidus.
12. Which car would best personify you, and why?
My Touareg, of course. It’s great looking and very versatile!
13. What is your favourite reality TV series?
14. Who is someone you truly look up to, and which qualities do you most admire about them?
My pastor at Mosaiek, Johan Geyser. He is 100% aligned with living what he believes every day, and is one of the wisest people I have ever met. Qualities: discipline; compassion; commitment; and vision.
15. What’s your stance on social media?
I personally think that it is hard work to keep everything updated – Facebook, etc. But then, I am old school!