The Grand Prix for Overall Best Retailer has been awarded to Shoprite, with Pick 'n Pay and Clicks in second and third place respectively.
The Sunday Times/Sowetan Shopper Survey aims to provide retailers with insights about what consumers really think of their brand – where they’re winning, and where they should be doing more.
More than 2 750 respondents over the age of 18, from both metropolitan and non-metropolitan areas of the country, were randomly selected and interviewed face-to-face.
The final results were weighted to represent the population according to StatsSA 2015 mid-year population estimates. This year's survey also took into account the new Socio-Economic Measures (SEMs).
Reardon Sanderson, GM: group sales and marketing at Tiso Blackstar, says, "We believe the research delivered to the market through the Sunday Times/Sowetan Shopper Survey allows the countrey's retailers and advertisers to ‘get inside the heads’ of consumers and learn what drives their preferences for one retailer over another."
The survey registered 34 new players across 12 categories. Of those 34 additions, 10 were new entrants to the Online Store category, with many of them being established retail brands.
Kantar TNS’ approach considers a retailer’s penetration in the marketplace while also examining its strength amongst its users and its relative attraction amongst non-users.
Retailers that placed in the top three of a category were awarded with custom-made Trolley trophies created by the Reaboka Foundation, an NGO committed to the empowerment of rural communities.
The 2018 Sunday Times/Sowetan Shopper Survey category winners are:
- Bed Stores – Bradlows
- Furniture Stores – Bradlows
- Hardware Stores – Cashbuild
- Health and Beauty Stores – Clicks
- Pharmaceutical Outlets – Clicks
- Entertainment, Online and Book Stores – CNA
- Men's Clothing Stores – Edgars
- Shoe Stores – Edgars
- Women's Clothing Stores – Edgars
- Electronics and Household Appliances Stores – Game
- Wholesalers – Makro
- Home Accessories and Décor Stores – Mr Price Home
- Grocery Stores – Shoprite
- Jewellery Stores – Sterns
- Online Stores – Takealot.com
- Tyre and Auto Fitment Centres – Tiger Wheel & Tyre
- Liquor and Bottle Stores – Tops at Spar
- Sports and Outdoor Stores – Totalsports
- Telecommunications Stores – Vodacom shop
- Kids and Baby Clothing Stores – Woolworths
"By constantly analysing the marketplace to see how we, ourselves, can innovate, Tiso Blackstar has developed strong partnerships and trusted relationships with our retailer clients," Sanderson says.
"We will continue to support the market with research that allows every business to know more, and become better," concludes Sanderson.
For more information, visit www.tisoblackstar.com