Comedians are requested to email their demo of five to 10 minutes, while DJs are requested to email their 10 to 20 minute mixes, to [email protected]
The closing date for all digital submissions is Sunday, 22 September.
The station will travel to five different towns within the Eastern Cape:
- Mdantsane City Shopping centre — Saturday, 10 August
- Peddie — Saturday, 17 August
- Mbizana — Saturday, 24 August
- SABC Bhisho — Saturday, 31 August
- Mthatha — Saturday, 7 September
debuted its first presenter search in 2012 with only one category (Radio Presenting
). Taking into consideration the aspirations and needs of its target audience, the station launched the 'truTalent' campaign with various categories in 2015.
This initiative aimed to engage and connect with the youth of the Eastern Cape. The search strives to give them a platform that showcases and nurtures their talent through workshops. In addition, it also provides employment opportunities for those that are successful in the competition.
The top two successful candidates from each category and town will visit the station in Bhisho for workshops, which will take place from Tuesday, 27 September to Thursday, 29 September.
The workshops will be conducted by a mentor for each category. Contestants will be taught more about the intricacies of their category, which will equip them with the knowledge to take their talent to the next level.
The workshops will be followed by announcement of winners on Monday, 28 October 2019 live on-air. The prizes for each category are as follows:
- Music — The winner will receive R10 000 in cash and the opportunity to record a single which they can use to promote themselves in the industry.
- Radio Presenting — The winner will receive R10 000 in cash and will also form part of the trufm line-up on a developmental slot, where they will learn, host and be exposed to radio presenting for up to a year.
- Comedy — The winner will receive R10 000 in cash and an opportunity to be a contributor in one of the station's primetime shows for a year.
- Djing — The winner will receive R10 000 in cash and will be given an opportunity to be a resident DJ in one of the station's lifestyle shows.
- Listener's Choice: Best Presenter on trufm Award — The winner will be awarded the 'Listener's Favourite Presenter' title for the year on all DJ promos and stings.
"This campaign is one of the many ways that trufm
uses to empower the youth and to afford them an opportunity to showcase their talent and skills," says Masixole Mdingane, acting station manager.
"The station is committed to playing its part in youth development in the province and in making the dreams of young people come true. This initiative also plays a crucial part in curbing the high unemployment rate," Mdingane adds.
The 2019 'truTalent' campaign was officially launched on trufm
(Monday to Friday, 15h00 to 18h00) on Friday, 26 July.
For more information, visit www.trufm.co.za
. You can also follow trufm
or on Instagram