This exchange forms part of the ACA's '#ACACaresCovid' programme, which intends to offer guidance and assistance to the broader advertising profession. The ACA and MASA have invited all stakeholders to attend a joint meeting of passionate minds from across the broader marketing and advertising environment.
The meeting will be led by three representatives each on behalf of the advertising and marketing professions and will be moderated by Mathe Okaba (CEO of ACA) and Brian Yuyi (CEO of MASA).
The online meeting will be held on Tuesday, 19 May between 10:00 and 12:00 and will address issues surrounding the sustainability of the industry during and post lockdown.
"There can be no doubt that we are facing one of the most difficult and uncertain periods in the history of our profession," says Okaba. "We"ve already seen the fallout from the effects of COVID-19 as it impacts negatively on individuals, businesses and the broader communications and media environment."
"Our creative and marketing industries will never be the same coming out of this; therefore, it is our joint responsibility as a collective of marketers, advertisers and communications professionals to act with urgency in order to redefine our future DNA to the benefit of all involved," adds Okaba.
The upcoming meeting, together with future engagements, will aim to tackle the following topics:
- How do we future proof the industry?
- The sustainability of the industry within the current environment, and
- Creating access to opportunities with a view to ensuring the survival of smaller businesses.
"This is the dawn of many dialogues and discussions due to be held," says Yuyi. "If we do not act now to preserve talent and resource, we might end up in a dark abyss of unimaginable proportions, one that we might never get out of."
"The end result will be the death of the creative community and in the fullness of time; the effect will also be felt on the client's side," adds Yuyi.
According to the duo, the desired outcome of the dialogue is to provide an opportunity to create an outline and guide activity across critical areas relevant to all, including:
- Tenders and Pitches and the rules of engagement to better protect both clients and service providers
- Redefining workflow regarding creative / strategic processes, and
- Transformation at senior levels in the profession.
The ACA and MASA both indicate that they are 'extremely passionate' about the survival of the industry and the invitation is extended to participate in mutual engagement in order to build a stronger, more sustainable and effective industry for all. The speaker line-up for the meeting includes:
Representing the advertising profession:
- Boniswa Pezisa CEO: Net#work BBDO
- Gareth Leck Group CEO: Joe Public United
- Thabang Skwambane Group MD: FCB Joburg and Hellocomputer Johannesburg
Representing the marketing profession:
- Brenda Koornneef: MASA board member
- Khensani Nobanda: group executive marketing and corporate affairs at Nedbank
- Sechaba Motsieloa: MASA board member
To register, individuals are encouraged to contact [email protected]
or call the ACA on (010) 880 3399. Once confirmed, a link with the meeting details will be forward via email.
For more information, visit www.acasa.co.za