Topping the list of trending (excluding major labels) videos in South Africa this year is a dance cover of the Gqom track iWalk Ye Phara
or Nayi le walk
by DJ Maphorisa.
Shot by award-winning cinematographer Ofentse Mwase, the video features five dancers (Melita, Thato, Odi, Nomasondo, Anele and Mtho) who showcase their dance interpretation of the song and walk.
Since it was uploaded in April, the video has gone viral and garnered more than three million views and 19 000 likes.
Other trending videos in 2018 (excluding major labels) including Trevor Noah’s farewell to President Zuma, titled Bidding Farewell to Jacob Zuma!
The video is a 37-minute long compilation of the comedian’s stand up jokes (with Msholozi as the subject) and generated more than 2.6 million views since it was first published in February.WHO DIED
(episode 147), from the Nigerian comedy act Marc Angel, and Ramscomics’ animated comic series Noko Surviving Januworry
also featured, with the latter generating more than a million views. The News24 video
of the game reserve owner who got mauled by a lion in May this year also made the list.
The top trending music video this year is Maroon 5’s Girls like You
featuring Cardi B, while Drake has two videos in the top five for his tracks God’s Plan
and Nice For What
. Bruno Mars’s Finesse Remix
featuring Cardi B is at number four, and Ariana Grande’s No Tears Left To Cry
is at number five.
Mlindo The Vocalist, the only South African act in the top 10, came in at number nine with the track AmaBlesser ft. DJ Maphorisa
YouTube also released the annual YouTube Ads Leaderboard. The YouTube Ads Leaderboard showcases the top 10 video ads watched in South Africa over the past year, with Samsung South Africa’s Introducing the GalaxyA8 with a camera so good, it lets you be you. [Intro]
taking the top spot.
According to YouTube, the ads ranking is determined using some of its strongest signals of viewer choice – the number of views within the country, view rate (how much of an ad people choose to watch) and percentage of organic views versus paid views.
The top trending videos on YouTube for 2018 are based on views, shares, comments, likes and more.Top 10 Videos watched in South Africa in 2018, excluding major music labels:
1. Ofentse Mwase Films – Nayi Le Walk Dance
2. Trevor Noah - Bidding Farewell To Jacob Zuma!
– TREVOR NOAH (compilation from over the years)
3. Marc Angel Comedy – WHO DIED
4. Ramscomics – Noko Mashaba – Surviving Januworry
5. News24 – WATCH: Game reserve owner hospitalised after being mauled by a lion
6. Economic Freedom Fighters – CIC Julius Malema Full Speech, Winnie Mandela Funeral
7. The River – Rich in Diamonds
– The River FULL Episode 1 | 1Magic
8. Owamie Hlongwane – THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED RIP AKHUMZI JEZILE
9. Kylie Jenner – To Our Daughter
10. Ofentse Mwase Films – Club Controller Bhenga Dance ft. Bri Bri, Danger Flex, Superstar DanTop 10 Music Videos watched by South Africans:
1. Maroon 5 – Girls Like You
featuring Cardi B
2. Drake – God's Plan
3. Lil Dicky – Freaky Friday feat. Chris Brown (Official Music Video)
4. Bruno Mars – Finesse (Remix)
[featuring Cardi B] [Official Video]
5. Drake – Nice For What
6. Ariana Grande – No Tears Left to Cry
7. Childish Gambino – This Is America (Official Video)
8. Dua Lipa – IDGAF (Official Music Video)
9. Mlindo The Vocalist – AmaBlesser ft. DJ Maphorisa
10. Rudimental – These Days feat. Jess Glynne, Macklemore & Dan Caplen [Official Video]Top performing ads on YouTube ZA:
1. Samsung South Africa – Introducing the GalaxyA8 with a camera so good, it lets you be you. [Intro]
2. Samsung South Africa – The Galaxy Note9 is available now! The Game has changed!
3. Samsung South Africa – Everyday life simplified because everything is connected
4. MTN South Africa – MTN Presents: Little Casanova
5. Hyundai South Africa – Hyundai Tucson TVC 2017 – Life is Beautiful
6. Absa South Africa – Absa Fixed Deposit Account
7. W4Dinner – Knorr’s Naturally Tasty – Full of Natural Ingredients
8. Absa South Africa – Absa Africanacity
9. Cars.co.za – This is Cars.co.za – 80 000 cars for sale...and counting
10. Absa South Africa – Embracing AfricanacitySince 2012, YouTube Rewind has been viewed over 790 million times, with:
- 204 million views from 2017
- 222 million views from 2016
- 128 million views from 2015
- 141 million views from 2014
- 126 million views from 2013
- 185 million views from 2012
YouTube Rewind 2017 featured 290 YouTube Creators, representing nearly 20 countries as well as viral stars, top musicians, and celebrities. It also included 20 days of principle production around the world, from London to Tokyo to New York to Los Angeles to Rio.
You can follow YouTube Rewind on Facebook
or on YouTube