Taylor Goodman looks at five tips that will help you to take your content to the next level.
Nowadays, readers find themselves inundated with content — be it social media, blogs, videos or print. Due to the sheer amount of what is out there, to excel as a content creator, you have to make yourself visible
Now, get rid of the notion that you need to be the best writer for your content to excel; all you need is passion, determination and perseverance! Without further ado, here are five ways that you can improve your content:
1. Keep it simple
When writing content, it is easy to fall into the trap of overcomplicating things with big words or complex sentences. That’s why it would be in your best interest to keep your content simple
Simplifying your content will increase readability and make it more digestible for your audience. Additionally, the more straightforward your content is, the more accessible it will be to a wider audience.
You can simplify your content by
- using bullet points
- avoiding long-winded paragraphs and sentences
- using headings to separate text, and
- adding related images to break up text.
2. Don’t be afraid to mix it up
Another bad habit that content writers can easily pick up is creating monotonous content — nobody
wants to hear the same story over and over again.
As important as it is to be consistent in the delivery of your content, you shouldn’t be afraid to mix things up. Do you usually write newsy, factual pieces? Why not switch it up and write an opinion piece or a more lighthearted story instead? Surprise
It is also recommended that you cover trending topics, as this can help you to reach and engage with a new audience and thus expand your reach. This is because if a reader is searching something that’s trending, they may come across your content, which they were previously not aware of.
In addition to tapping into new target markets, diversifying your content will help to keep your audience interested
because you will always
have something unique to offer them. As consumers are always eager for interesting content, this will have your audience running back for more.
3. Accuracy is key
It is a non-negotiable that as a content creator, you need to be accurate in your reporting and use valid sources
. Failing to do so will only wreak havoc on your brand as well as your personal reputation.
Ensuring that your information is accurate will help you make major strides in producing high-quality content.
Additionally, if your content is factual, you will become a reliable source of information for your readers, allowing you to build trust with your audience. You can ensure that you are producing accurate content by
- regularly fact checking your work, or getting someone to fact check it for you
- ensuring that your sources are accurate — if information seems questionable, don't use it
- backing up claims you’re making with solid proof
- referencing, referencing and more referencing!
4. Use tools to your advantage
As a content creator, you are not only a writer but an editor as well, and sometimes you may miss a few things. Luckily, these days, there really is a tool for everything
Some of the best tools for content creators are:
- Hemingway app: This app helps to improve the clarity of your writing by highlighting lengthy and complex sentences.
- Grammarly: This popular tool helps with spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors.
- Readable: Readable helps to monitor the readability of your content, as well as keyword density and sentiment analysis.
- StayFocused: This is a productivity tool that helps writers to remain focused by restricting the amount of time they can spend on websites, like social media sites, that may hinder their productivity.
- BuzzSumo: BuzzSumo helps writers to note which types of content performs best for a specific topic or competitor.
Utilising these tools will help you to iron out any issues in your writing, resulting in more polished and professional content.
5. Add images and videos
Lastly, adding images or videos to your content does more than just make it look pretty. Doing so will strengthen your content and make it more engaging to the reader. Why?
Well, adding images or videos to your content will help you to further illustrate your point
. It also attracts readers because some people learn better through visual aids
. As an added bonus, it breaks that awful wall of text when it comes to long-form content.
As helpful as visuals will be in enhancing your content, it is important to note that these images and videos need to be relevant and add value to your content. What elements make content stand out to you? Why? Let us know in the comment section below.
Well, you’ve made it this far. Why not sign up for our newsletter while you’re here?
*Image courtesy of Vecteezy