editor in chief Molife Kumona says, "I can safely say that the 2021 Men of the Year Awards
showed how diverse we are — not only as a brand and who we showcase and celebrate but also how distinct the people who shape our culture are."
"Everyone we acknowledged in this year's awards epitomise excellence and inspiration. We're truly honoured to have been able to do this for the third year in a row and in association with a brand like Hennessy V.S.O.P Privilège," adds Kumona.GQ's Men of the Year Awards
2021 winners include:
- Entertainer of the Year — Makhadzi
- Musician of the Year — Focalistic
- Humanitarian of the Year — Kolisi Foundation
- Editor's Special Tribute — the late Shona Ferguson (accepted by Connie Ferguson)
- The Game Changers of the Year — Kgothatso Montjane and Tatjana Schoenmaker sponsored by Skin Renewal
- Designer of the Year — Laduma Ngxokolo
- The Industry Icon of the Year — Nick Boulton
- Woman of the Year — Thuso Mbedu
- Sportsperson of the Year — Ntando Mahlangu
- The Standard Bank Business Leader of the Year — Theo Baloyi, and
- The Hennessy V.S.O.P Privilège Lifetime Achievement Award — Sipho 'Hotstix' Mabuse.
The show was hosted by Kumona and Claire Mawisa. It included performances by the likes of Siki Jo-An, Sauti Sol and Sipho 'Hotstix' Mabuse.
Stef Kondylis, market manager of Moët Hennessy South Africa, says, "We are honoured to present this prestigious award to Sipho Mabuse. A celebrated musician, Mabuse is an exceptional individual who has shaped the country's musical identity. Still involved in performance arts to this day, he continues to contribute to the cultural development of many young musicians in the country."
"Hennessy V.S.O.P Privilège has been celebrating the pioneers, the game-changers, the movers, shakers and change-makers for over 200 years. The Hennessy V.S.O.P Privilège Lifetime Achievement Award
and our association with GQ Men of the Year
is a way to honour these committed and dedicated South Africans who remain true to Hennessy's ethos of 'Never Stop. Never Settle'," adds Kondylis.
Mike Mashaba from Standard Bank concludes, "We are proud to form part of these awards in the form of sponsoring the 2021 Business Leader of the Year Award
. At Standard Bank, we believe that dreams matter, that they fuel our growth. Without dreams, there can be no growth. The winner of this award is someone who embodies not having to wait to achieve their aspirations; they take action now."
The 2021 GQ MOTY Awards
were sponsored by:
- Hennessy V.S.O.P. Privilège
- Standard Bank
- Audi, and
- Skin Renewal.
For more information, visit www.gq.co.za
. You can also follow GQ South Africa
or on Instagram